Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Grocery Challenge - OMG What Am I Thinking??

For the next four weeks my family and I are going to see if we can spend $25 or less per person per week on groceries. That's $125 a week for a hungry family of 5 of whom 4 are hungry men. True, the 9 year old isn't a huge eater, but Dad, 16 year old and 11 year old brothers can put away some serious chow. And to make matters a little tougher it's summer and everyone is home all day grazing. Here's my strategy:


  • Plan the menu - every single meal. Nothing goes unplanned.

  • Use sales and coupons to extend my dollars. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING more gratifying than when the cashier tells you how much you saved.

  • Evaluate the pantry and try to use everything available.

  • Buy fresh, in-season produce. Summer in Florida means tons of that. LUCKY!

  • Get the boys involved in food preparation. They can cook and bake and they don't hate it.

  • DO NOT let my husband go to the grocery store. He's not into the challenge and he isn't good about grocery spending even on the best of days.

Throughout the next four weeks I'll post my weekly menu plan, my grocery spending amount and if I make up something that turns out good, I might even post a recipe. This first week includes a lot of things that are already in my pantry. That's part of the strategy - use it up. Here's the menu plan:


Breakfast


Cereal (we'll have that two mornings)


Homemade Chewy Granola Bars (using all items from my pantry)


Fresh Fruit Smoothies


Waffles


Muffins and Fruit


Pancake Sausage Sandwiches



Lunch


Chef Boy R Dee Ravioli (I had two great coupons and this was on sale at Publix so it was nearly free)


Sub Sandwiches


Chicken Quesadillas


Hot Dogs


Shredded Chicken Sandwiches


Left Overs


French Bread Pizzas



Supper


Slow Cooker Rotissierie Chicken


Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Ribs


Stuffed Peppers


Chicken Enchiladas


Slow Cooker Roast Beef


Grilled Pizza Puffs


Chicken & Broccoli Braid



I spent a total of $113.96 ($11.04 left over) for everything needed to make all of the meals above, and I'm certain that I can make some snacks along the way as well. I'll try to do that pretty much out of my pantry. Oh, and my total savings with sales and coupons was $38.21.


One other tip - I brought my 11 year old with me to the grocery. He's great with the calculator and had a lot of fun trying to help figure out if I was getting a deal. He'll definitely be my grocery partner throughout the challenge. Thanks AllYou Magazine for great motivation to make it happen. I normally spend twice that much or more each week on groceries because we have pretty much meal planned on the fly and shopped every day. I'm planning to use the money I'm saving to help pay down the credit card bills.


Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment